If you want to operate a forklift, there are some important tips you should know first for safe and effective use. Forklifts are extremely useful for moving heavy loads and saving work, but if they’re not operated correctly, they can be dangerous. At Voss Equipment, our number one priority is making sure our equipment is safe and effective. Some tips you need to know when operating lift trucks include:
- Proper Training and License Get licensed! Proper knowledge of forklifts will prevent accidents and injuries.
- Prepare! When you approach a load, make sure the forks are set at the right height and direction control is neutral. Position the forklift directly in front of a load, around 8-12 inches away.
- Stop! When you raise or lower the forks to pick up or set down a load, make sure the forklift is stopped and the brake is set.
- Center the load. You can adjust the forks to correct a load that’s off-center. If you have a load that’s off-center, put the heaviest part near the front wheels.
- Look up! Make sure you have enough overhead clearance and that operating your forklift won’t interfere with pipes and sprinkler systems.
- Drive and turn slowly. The load can tip or fall off during fast turns or at high speeds – take your time to ensure the safety of yourself and your cargo.
- Don’t overload! This one is pretty obvious. If you overload your equipment, chances are it might not work as expected.
- Avoid tilting the load. The only times when you should tilt a load forward are when you pick it up and set it down.
If you follow these simple tips, you’ll be able to drive and operate lift trucks safely! At Voss equipment, we only sell forklifts manufactured by the most trusted experts, such as Yale, Landoll, and Drexel. Contact us today with any questions or to learn more about our premium selection of products!